Monday, April 9, 2007

Influential

My Influence
Teachers today rarely possess the ability to prepare a student for college, as well as inspiring them to be the most productive citizen they can be. Mr. Coate, my lab science teacher, has these qualities. Being on task and equipped for all challenges life throws at me is one of many life and academic lessons he has taught me. His ability to motivate me not only in my studies, but in life ambitions as well makes him unique.
Studying notes every night is a quality Mr. Coate expects out of his students. He does not allow laziness or procrastination in his class. My science teacher constantly challenges the class with pop quizzes, tests, and labs, which keeps us guessing at all times. His ability to intertwine lectures with real life situations keeps the class upbeat and interesting. I have a strong feeling that four years with Mr. Coate will undoubtedly guarantee success in college.
I see my biology teacher not only as an educator, but as a motivator as well. His encouraging quotes throughout my tenure have convinced me that if I work hard and stick with my goals, I will be successful. After a recent trip to the University of Illinois, Mr. Coate stated, “That could be you someday wearing those lab coats and carrying a PhD behind your name.” Exceeding our potential is not only our life goal, but its what he ultimately wants as well.
The next four years of my life will hopefully be filled with fun, success, and knowledge. Academically, I feel I am well prepared to face the challenges that await me. Mr. Coate provides a tough curriculum which mimics one of a college class. Lectures, research papers, open-ended tests, and labs all resemble college work. By this description Mr. Coate sounds like a grumpy, strict, and rigid dictator. To the disbelief of many, he actually cares about our schedules, plans tests to our convenience, and is flexible on homework. Those that survive will reap the benefits in college.
Without Mr. Coate my grades, goals, and outlook on life would not be the same. His passion to teach and educate is obvious through his work. The influence he has had on me is ineffable. His ability to blend life lessons with his work, motivate his students, and provide tough classes in preparation with college is his forte.

Travis Rosenkranz

No comments: