Monday, April 9, 2007

Co-Conspirator


From: rwells@hilltop.bradley.edu
Subject: Re: FW: Second and Final Call for Ralph Coate Stories!
Date: March 15, 2007 12:37:39 AM CDT


One of my favorite times in high school is a result of the sly and devious nature of Mr. Coate. As a freshman, I was lucky enough to have my older sister as a senior. The most important benefit to this situation would have to have been the fact that I had someone living in my house that could read Mr. Coate's handwriting. Now, while I was very grateful for this and love my sister very much, sisters will be sisters and occassionally it is gratifying to annoy them. Mr. Coate must have been fully aware of this. I found this out one day while I was shuffling through his classroom door for a lesson on the Kreb's cycle. Or perhaps it was the capillary motion of water through trees?

Before class began, I was pulled to the back of the classroom and shown a table. The table was piled with feline limbs. Yes, the anatomy class was well underway with cat disection. To my surprise, it was ever so silently suggested that I make use of one skinned limb - tibia, phalanges, fur, and all. So, toward the senior hallway I walked and, lucky me, one very specific locker happened to be unlocked. Now, where better to put that limb than on top of a packed lunch?

Thank you, Mr. Coate! The moment I gained from that cat and your mischevious nature remains to this day incredibly satisfying. Definitely worth every 'r' that looked like a 'v' and every terrifying conversion (1 inch = 2.54 centimeters!!!).

Rachel Wells, Life Science Enthusiast

No comments: