Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Best of the Best

Ralph,

In all of my years in and around public education, I cannot recall any educator as dedicated and competent as you. My memory recalls that without exception, the lights in your science room were always the first on in the morning, and most generally, the last off in the evening. The rigor taught and expected in your classroom was always that of excellence and the expectation for academic achievement was not only for your students, but a demand you made of yourself as well. During my ten years at Macon you were always "that educator" I most wanted to emulate. Not only did you raise the bar for students, you raised it for your colleagues as well. You have touched the lives of countless numbers of students, parents and co-educators, and because of contact with you, all our lives have been enriched.

Having served on the School Board in Decatur for 12 years, I have seen from "the other side" what an asset to any school district, a teacher of your quality is to that district. You are truly one of a kind, the best of the best. I wish there were more as dedicated to both subject matter and student, as you. If the dictionary had pictures next to definitions of words, yours would be located next to the word pedagogue.

With all my admiration, I wish you well in your retirement. Public education is a better place because you. Your presence and contribution will sorely be missed.

D.R. Roberts

No comments: